Friday, February 10, 2006

The Sky is Falling on Our Heads...........

There was this fable my grandma used to read to me, when I was a toddler, about a chicken who thought that the sky was falling on its head........
Well that doesnt seem all that improbable after what I witnessed today!!!!!!!!

I do need to provide a short introduction so that you can picture exactly what happened today at work. Well, I work in the basement of the Biodesign Institue, AZ. It is a pretty magnificient structure and is hardly an year old. The concept behind making this building is that Science should have no boundaries. So everything, except the floor, is made of glass. The walls, roof, banisters and all that could possibly be there has been consturcted of different varieties of glass. In the center is a big spiral staircase also made of, ya you guessed right, glass! Quite a breathtaking site to behold, when you enter for the first time.

Today morning started out in the usual boring manner, with no indacations whatsoever of what was about to follow. I was sitting at my desk preparing for the meeting with my guide which was scheduled to be held in an hour and a half. AND THEN...........suddenly.........totally out of the blue.......there was a crashing sound which lasted for at least 2 seconds. Really, I am not exaggerating one bit. When I recovered from the first shock of the imapct, I ran to center and saw that the entire floor was covered with what seemed like fine glistening ice! After looking at it closely, I realised that it was not ice but glass! My gaze was automatically directed upwards and I saw a huge panel of glass missing from the corridoor of the second floor. When it came crashing down, it brought allong with it massive glass sheets from the staircase as well! A chill went down my spine as I thanked God for keeping everyone out of the way of the falling glass. There was a lady who was standing in the middle of the sea of evil looking chunks who claimed that one of the sheets barely grazed her shoulder. However, she was lucky to escape without a scratch.

As you can imagine, 991 was called immediately and the entire area was evacuated and sealed. The cleaning operation was going to take an hour at least and we were elated like little kids would be if their school suddenly declared a holiday. As we all trooped down to Lorenzo's for pasta, the only thing in my mind was.......what is the use of a million dollar building if it cannot keep the people inside it safe??????????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home