Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Give me a break!

Following up on the unfortunate incident at Starbucks a few days ago, let me tell you folks that I never went back to the store after that.
I had resolved to deprive myself of my manna and with an iron will, I stuck to that resolution. I started drinking water whenever I felt the cravings (much healthier as well!) and started chewing gum when it got too tough. Things continued this way till today.
Now today, the eighth of August, had been difficult! I was confused about so many things, the project I am working on, the courses I am supposed to take ...and life, in general. I finished my experiments and attended a meeting at 2.30 pm. It was held in a conference room in the Biodesign and was attended by five professors from different departments and it lasted for one and a half hours. By the end of it, I felt like a truck just ran over me.
I slumped back at my desk and started fantasizing about my Caramel Frapuccino. It was just the thing I needed at that point of time. Water was a miserable substitute. How pale and lily-livered it seemed in comparison. I fiddled around my desk and realized that I was out of chewing gum as well. I was, as they say, in 'deep shit'.
"Will you two just do it and get it over with!" Quinn brought me back to reality with a jolt.
"...huh, are you talking to me?" I thought she had gone out of her mind.

"Yes dear, I am addressing you and your Caramel Frappucino. You think I don’t know what’s on your mind?" I blushed at her precision. She must be a mind-reader or something. I made a mental note to be more careful with my thoughts when I am around her.
"Only 45 minutes left for Starbucks to close." Quinn tapped her wrist watch with a crooked smile on her face.
At that point of time, she seemed like the cruelest person in the whole world. How could she? I couldn’t take it any more. I could hear Starbucks calling out to me. I heard it call, loud and clear. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee floated through my nostrils and before I knew it, I was on my feet and walking towards the door.
At this point I have to point out to you that I am a master at my game. I admit that I succumbed to my temptations but I did take precautions. I disguised myself. I wore dark glasses and a hat. I even tied my hair differently. I poked my head back into the lab before leaving.
"Yes, do you need any............Oh, it you" Quinn gaped.
Completely satisfied, I walked towards Starbucks with a smug smile on my face.

PART II (at Starbucks)
There were about five people, in all, at Starbucks today. Before long, the very cheery Chinese guy popped out from behind the counter and asked if I needed assistance. For a moment I was petrified. Then as his broad smile did not change into one of recognition, I relaxed a bit and placed my order. The effeminate black guy peered suspiciously at me and I instantly went and hid behind Raul (he is about 6ft 3 in which made it really convenient for me!). Before long (more importantly, before Raul's order came) my beautiful Caramel Frapuccino was ready and my eyes moistened just at the sight of it. I was trying to find a place to wedge through between the table and Raul (he is also 4ft broad, you see!) when something dreadful happened.
A tiny Chinese (or maybe Korean) girl with a stern and bespectacled face jumped ahead and grabbed it.
"Umm......uh......that’s.....I think........"Was all could stutter in dismay as she walked right away with my coffee under my very nose.
"Hey....I couldn’t recognize you" Raul smiled at me. With inhuman effort, I managed to flash him a wry smile.
Then came what was supposed to be the other girl’s order. It was decafed, loaded with extra syrup and had whipped cream on it. Well, it almost had everything I disliked in my coffee.
"This is not what I ordered" I pointed out to the Mexican girl nearby. "See, it says 'Lin' but my name is Shreya." She still stared blankly at me.
"Oh My God, I messed up" gasped the thin Chinese fellow, with a horrified expression.
"No, no, it wasn’t your....." my meek attempt to calm him down got drowned as the black guy started fretting. "How could you? Don’t you know she likes Caramel Frapuccino?"
"Yes I do and I will make it up to her" the Chinese guy was smiling again.
I was pretty much horrified. I could see the whole sequence of events repeating it all over again. I had to think of a way to stop it, immediately!
"Oh, how silly of me" I grabbed my cup of coffee right from the hands of the Mexican girl. "I thought I ordered a Caramel Frapuccino" Her grip was firm but I wasn’t the going to let go either. "But actually I ordered THIS." Finally her grip loosened and I had the coffee safe in my hands.
I scurried away, back to my lab, and sipped on the new concoction. It was horrible! I nearly spat it out, it was so bad.
Well, a waste of $3.62 but there are some things that money can’t buy, and that was intact.........well, almost!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ....what kind of a starbucks cafe is this......?I find the place really shady..... I guess the first time they gave you the free drink was only to make you come back the second time ....and then they made up for the previous loss by giving you the yucky drink :).....another shady thing I find is that you've always mentioned someone's eyes going moist in that shop .....are you sure they dont add some lacrimator to their brew? ....LOL.... better find another coffee place!!

10:18 AM  
Blogger shreya said...

I DID!!!!!!!!!!! This was the starbucks at Memorial Union....now I go to the Starbucks at the ASU BookStore!

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home